Why dentistry?

I came up with a hashtag #TheDentistWhoWrites for my Facebook and Instagram posts, but nobody ever asked me why!
"I liked the idea of adjoining what I do and what I am doing, with each other. Both echo.
An apt comparison."

SIMILARITY BETWEEN LIFE AND DENTISTRY, THERE IS NO SUCH THING LIKE AN IDEAL IMPRESSION. IT IS ADJUSTED, MANIPULATED, POLISHED AND PRESENTED.

I am neither a professional writer, nor do I want to be. I am paving my way of becoming a dentist, and I am in second year of the prestigious course.
But that doesn't mean I need to give up on my interest in writing, this isn't the end of my hobby, and I, probably, want to continue with it. Writing is where I find solace, and where I'm a totally different person, a person who I don't appear to be in front of all. I own a place with a shelf of books I need to understand and learn by heart, novels I want to read or have read, a closet adored with a white apron, over all, a room full of patience, hopes, expectations and dreams. Writing and medicine make an odd yet lethal combination.

If I had chosen to be a full time writer, life wouldn't be a challenge, and I would have the freedom to write, but then, I would not have come across extraordinary people, each of them having a story to tell. I have nameless, faceless conversations with everyone of them, all making sense, all trying to shape my life in a beautiful manner.

What dentistry teach me, isn't all about dealing with patients, but to acquire more patience, and trying harder when I feel like quitting, but most of all, it teaches me that I'll be able to do it, at the end of the day.

There can be men, enduring the heartache, but make me meet a man who can endure the toothache patiently. He can be a dentist only.

Sufferings brought me knowledge, and I am going to have luminous ideas when I'll work further.
Being a dentist, I'm becoming a mixture of immense knowledge of medicines, that comes from experiences after seeing patients'. As a noble profession, it tells you that the world might not be a place where your wishes come true, but it definitely is a place where the pain is healed. It is an expedition.

The longest visit I ever had to a hospital, was to my dentist. I recall the time when I was a 10th grade student, in 2010-11, when a I had to see him for the treatment. He used to tell that if you're a doctor, you can never be mean. He meant it. He did. Selflessness is the key and it was heartbreaking for him, to see children opting for dentistry unwillingly. The respect he earned as a dentist, and the chivalry he acquired, motivates me even today. It's been 5 years since I last saw him. I wish to see him again, someday.

When I joined the dental school, I was equally confused like everyone else in my batch, but as the time is passing by, I met people from all the walks of life. Some criticized, some supported, some told me to think twice, some asked me not to stop, but then, one of my teachers quoted, and I knew there is no going back.
She said, "It is worship. One must devote himself, or he should never incline himself towards it."

A few more people who made it easier to understand how being a dentist feels like.

I had this wonderful conversation with my senior, few months ago, in my first year, when he asked me if I know how to stitch a button. He made a point over it, and said stitching a button is an easy task for those who know, and tough for those who don't. He said if you take it as a profession, it is hard, but if you play with it, it's fun, but you must know when to bring the avengers in. Life is harder, way too harder.
He was right, so right.

Mentioning quite an amazing incident with a senior, when she accidentally chewed something, and all she uttered, in pain, was what she learnt.
Hahaha. She was continuously telling what consequences can happen, chewing could have caused her mechanical trauma, Elis class 1 fracture may be a possibility when she will have crown fracture, with roughed edges. Hahaha. The basic idea behind writing this blog, is this incident only.
She, in simplest way, taught me if you deeply involve yourself in it, you'll love it, and it will flow, just the way poetry flows in me.

To be called as Dr. Ridima Kamal, is an honor. It would take a few precious years of life, but these are the years which will make the difference.
I am learning not to be heartbroken if I fail to submit assignments before or on deadline, I am learning not to frown if I fall, I am learning not to quit when I am depressed or disheartened, because these small failures are teaching me the lessons of life.
To be a doctor is more like being a fighter in long run.
Sooner or later, we all learn to fight and become fighters. We all are going to have a perfectly carved life.
Ask a dentist, who is exceptionally calm and composed who can teach you the importance of a stable mind and soul, with a divine gaze of face, and never complaining about anything, doing his job and possessing qualities like no-one else has.

PS- This blog is dedicated to all who are dentists, or are planning to become one. Thank you.
With love,
Ridima Kamal
#TheDentistWhoWrites

Comments

  1. If anyone asks me do you know what it feels when you read something that perfectly suits you or your relationship with life, circumstances and incidents when you have so many ideas criss crossed your mind or consciousness and all you have done in that while is wondering what exactly is the best possible explanation for what am I experiencing it? Well in that case it would be something more than a reference, glance, pretext, and presentation of correlated words put through as something which has been lived, it would be something like this. Keep writing more

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons why you must befriend with someone who think a lot.

Love

A Letter to My Parents.